Check out Markus Beissinger’s blog post “Deep Learning 101″. Markus reviews a lot of deep learning basics derived from the papers “Representation Learning: A Review and New Perspectives” (Bengio, Courville, Vincen 2012) and “Deep Learning of Representations: Looking Forward” (Bengio 2013). Beissinger covers the following topics:
- An easy intro to Deep Learing
- The Current State of Deep Learing
- Probabilistic Graphical Models
- Principal Component Analysis
- Restricted Boltzman Machines
- “Challenges Looking Ahead”
This is a great intro and I highly recommend it.